Monday, June 05, 2006

Table 83

This year's Summer Ball had the theme of Carnival. Held at the Arterilly Club near Moorgate the fair came to town. So I came as a Pikey Princess.








When I arrived there was a queue to get into the venue. Thank heavens it wasn't raining. The evening compared to previous years' felt somewhat flat. Not sure why. Perhaps it was the fact we were in a huge tent - or maybe it was just my general mood magnified by the rest of the firm. It was jolly pleasant to be able to satnd outside for a while before the meal. But the aura was made worse by the same music being on loop for the first 3 hours of the evening - so each song was aired at least 4 times - either over the PA system or by the men on stilts who were dressed like the Beatles but whom played non-Beatles tracks.

Here I am doing my best pensive look.


Thankfully I was on a table of amusing people.

Which was lucky as the time between courses was somewhat lengthy (average 50 minutes) - but the food was very tasty. Salmon to start, perfect steak and mash for main and a chocolate pyramid scoffed by some in record time to avoid the dessert and coffee conflict. There were times when 8 waiters and waitresses bounding down the aisles made the floor shake some much it was a bit like being on a cruise. The marquee was huge and there were vast spaces of not much going on. Most of the guests hovered around the dodgems - at times it was like watching the morning tube rush as couples tried to secure a car before the exitting dodgem go-ers had yet to catch their breath and exit. Funny watching the high heels and suits act no better than the fair ground usual.

A table which apart from me was all men.

As you can see even the napkins were the same colour as my dress. A dress which a week earlier felt less tight! At least my shoes did not rub and I got home unscathed by 1am. No-one on the tube batted an eyelid. Had a slightly peachy head next morning - but I am putting that down to the fact that the white chardonny was not a patch on what I used too....

No comments: