Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Hot! Hot! Hot!

And I don't just mean the Australian football team!! ...fears abound that they will progress further in the tournament than we will. Let's see how Brazil do this evening before we get carried away.
The office now has a mobile air con unit. Which after 4 days of ridiculous temperatures is perhaps a relief. Shame it is at the other end of the office! Yesterday we were given permission to open the windows AND close the blinds. How thoroughly modern and green. And now a mobile fan is at my side... maybe this is the famous person which according to my horoscopes I am due to meet today?!?
Speaking of green issues why is it whenever I go to Tesco/Boots etc etc I have to tell them three times that I ALREADY HAVE A BAG!! They can see me holding it open ready to put things in and STILL they start putting items in one of theirs. A weaker person would let them - but no, I am on a mission to give shop assistants a conversation outside of the one they are programmed to use. Club Card/Nectar Card/Advantage Card? Cash Back? Instead its eh? you don't want a bag? NO!!! I have enough of the things at home - especially since SavaCentre removed the recycling bin for them.
And so with the heat high guess what else went went choatic last night? You guessed it. London Transport. I walked to Waterloo smug that I would be avoiding the severe delays on the Norhtern/District and countless other lines. I checked the web before leaving so was happy to walk to Waterloo.
As I entered the station the new flat screen timetables were resembling a screen from Casualty. Lots of colourful rows of information. Pink in this case for TRAIN DELAYED. A fire at Raynes Park meant not much was coming in or out of Waterloo. With gritted teeth I braved the Northern Line. I was warm. And it was filling up by the minute. what grates me is the lack of information. No train came for 10 minutes and the platform was heaving. All I want is to know. People were piling off the tube obviously thinking they'd get a train as no-one had told them on the tube that the trains were next to useless. I finally got a tube. Got back to SW19 and spent a very rewarding 45 mins in Sainso's cooling down! Slept better than last night and waking up to a breeze and the sound of the rain falling was really pleasant. Ah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Air-con, just in time for it to start pissing down!

Karoona said...

Air Con?! I think Con Air would be more appropriate. I thinks its actually a mobile fan oven...

Anonymous said...

We tried these a few years ago. Once two people had fainted from the increased humidity we stuck to opening the windows.