Friday, June 09, 2006

Pleased to meet you..!!


What a difference a week makes. Today I feel fit to burst. Just genuinely happy to be me and where I am and who I am. Not sure of the exact cause of this - I suspect its the accumulation of several positive events. The sun helps. Walking 31 miles since Monday probably helps - feel so up beat. The anticipation nearly being over and the World Cup finally starting also adds to the vibe. The flags. The pride. The banter amongst the non-English types.

Last night ended up being one of those totally unplanned events which turned out to be totally brill! A few glasses of something cold after work was good fun. The 'beer garden' afforded us a seat. But £9.10 for 2 large Pinot Grgio - I ask you?! Can get two bottles for that price in my local newsagent... That aside I did have to have a diet coke to re-generate my head and prepare me for my walk to Waterloo. The city at that time of night is lovely. Walked along the river and watched as the sun started to descend. Fewer people about too. Said my hello's to the IKB statue. Watched as other women were over taken for wearing inappropriate footwear - I learnt my lesson! Sent a text to my thespian friend from the Golden Jubilee Bridge - something's you have to share. Then I was going to get the tube - but it was a 15min wait - so I pegged it back up to ground level and got the cooler over land train - which was empty. Smirked my way through several pages of jPod and got to Wombledon(SIC). I was going to get a bus. But none were forthcoming - in fact by the time one passed me I was practically home.

And so I passed the Nelson. It was open. (Their website lacks any sense of the newness I'm afraid). Saw Adie and waved and kept walking. I had but 3 pounds in my pocket. As I passed the bouncers I said 'Hey what have you done to my pub?!' And more to the point I was slightly miffed to see bouncers. Outside the Nelson. On a Thursday?! Anyway at BK I checked my phone (its ok I wasn't in BK) and had a message. This was a plea for me to go to the Nelson for a pint. So I back tracked and grovelled to said bouncers to let me in. They did. And the pub looks fab. Like a proper pub. And it was music night. And everyone was there and like all long lost souls there was much hugging and kissing (ok I kissed Bruce twice - in that friendly hello, good to see you way I am so famed for...NOT!!! The way I mean - not the kisses - they were way too real!)

Music night was brilliant. And I managed to get home at 1am. I feel a bit light headed today - but it was so uplifting to see so many people pleased to see me and for some bizarre reason telling me I had lost weight - erm must have been the vest/trouser combo I was wearing!! Makes me look slim! Ha ha!!

So its Friday and anything feels possible... and this is the rollercoaster which is my life. Two poles... let's hope England can score through two posts!! ttfn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bouncers on a pub door is never a good sign. In my (limited) experience, they are rougher than pubs without bouncers. When all the pubs in the centre of Donny started having bouncers it meant the prices went up and you were more likely to get punched.

More topically, football games I have played in (I did not always look like this you know) without a referee have always been more "sporting" than ones with referee.

Must have missed my invite for a few cold ones after work.

Karoona said...

to be fair it was a girl's cold one after work... do you have girlie qualities?!

Karoona said...

the bouncers I think were for first night show... that and the fact the new owners seemed paranoid about people spilling drink etc on the new carpeted zones... have to say the new lighting works really well and the comfie seats which don't fall apart when you sit on them were a blessed relief! AND i think I have found my World Cup football viewing venue! Hoorah!

Anonymous said...

I am very in touch with my feminine side. It's getting in touch with other people's that I find tricky...