Monday, June 05, 2006

England 6 - Jamaica 0

which makes me wonder what the point of the game was. Listening to the first half on my walkman as I walked to Wimbledon, Terry Butcher and Alan Green kept telling me players were looking injured. Anyone would think the drought crisis had peaked. But no. The woe of Becks, Terry, Rio and Cole all look now to have been over the top precautions. In a 'perfect' build up to the tournament, how come I still feel very uneasy about the whole thing. I suspect it has something to do with the hype and media. Calm down everyone - we have yet to do well in our group. I so want us to do well but I have seen/heard it all before and this year the circus surrounding the game makes me wonder when football became such an economical commodity. Where did the romance go?

However in the sanest move yet Sven is at least taking Defoe tomorrow when they fly from Luton. And so the build up begins.. Tuesday I sort out an office sweepstake. And a predict-a-league has been set up too. Can we all cope with the excitement?

Think I may boycott the whole thing and go for long walks during the games while listening to it. Then I can jump up and down like a loony when we score wherever I happen to be. Be intriguing to see how the world carries on or not as the case maybe when each game is on. Quiet streets? No queues at the check outs? Empty tubes and buses? Who can say. Oh well this time next week we will start to have a more realistic idea of how well we are going to do... Speaking of which Freddie is going to need some essence of brillance tomorrow to get a victory at Trentbridge.... Come on England!

No comments: