Thursday, June 15, 2006

PMT

PRE MATCH TENSION!

Woke up at 6am to get to work early so I can leave early. Been frantically trying to get a site ready for deployment and a demo to the partner for sign off. That's all completed and sign off been granted so it can go live. And we got an invite to the launch party! So it better get to the live in one piece! But the go-ahead means a semi relaxed afternoon.

Lunch time was therefore the beginning of the countdown to 5pm. I have my t-shirt in tow - and a few of us are very enthused by the event. However I have some concerns. (Apart from the fact the game is on ITV this afternoon - grrr.)

Trinidad and Tobago is a side made up of lower league players (the mighty Brent Sancho to name but one!). For these guys they are bouyed by a 0-0 result with 10 men. They will know the England team well. They will be like a minnow in the FA Cup - eager to raise their game and prove a point. I have heard all the bragging and predictions - England to win 4-0 etc. etc. But cometh the hour cometh the team. Don't get me wrong, I do want England to win - but I want them to raise their game and deserve it. I want to come away at the full time whistle and know that I have seen the start of a World Cup run. Currently I feel nothing. News that Rooney is fit helps of course - but are we still putting too much store by one players' performance? And can Lampard and Gerrard ever be effective when they are on the pitch together?

If T n T can keep possession and pass properly, take their chances when they come - then anything is possible. I am a pessimist - or maybe I have watched too much football - but my prediction is 1-1. Sorry folks - but IT is possible - that's the nature of the game.

I hope England do win and win well... but its for them to prove it - stop talking a good game and get on with it...

No comments: