Monday, June 19, 2006

Queen's Birthday - Flypast

Finally got my lardy into gear and managed to assume my fly-past position on Waterloo Bridge in time for the 1pm flypast. I didn't even know what was going to fly over - apart from the Red Arrows. As it was there was a really good show of what remains of the RAF. The Battle of Britain Memorial flight came first - Lancaster flanked by two Sptifires and Hurricanes. Followed by (in no particular order!) 9 Tornadoes in diamond formation, GlobeMaster, Tristar, Typhoons, Jaguars, VC-10, Nimrod and more Tornadoes. The end of the show was a joy - the Red Arrows and the long serving Canberra - due to go out of service this year. So it was a pleasure to see them all and hear the noise of jets and piston engines fly over the city. These are the only pictures I took with the digital camera, mainly as these show its not the best way to do these planes justice hence the rest are on proper film and when printed I'll try and get a few scanned - see how the old Praktica and 300 zoom lense fared in my oh so rusty hands...

Here they come! (that white arrow shape in the middle!)

Aah - the wonderfully shaped Canberra and the Hawks - a tingle down the spine....

The Queen looked as though she to enjoyed it when I saw the highlights later on TV. Bouyed by the sound and the pride of being British I went for a wander along the river.. photos and walk review to follow.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should try the RAF museum in Hendon if you get a chance. They've got a nuclear missile, as well as loads of planes.

And a good cafe.

Karoona said...

A good cafe is always important!!! It's on my list of places to go next time I have a day off that is not during any school holidays.. kids and me - no-no!