Thursday, July 06, 2006

Independence Day

July 4th is also my Mum's b-d. This year to celebrate she came up to London on the Monday evening and stayed over night so that we could go shopping for weeding suits. When we made these arrangements it all seemed pretty simple and easy. However with the English 'summer' in full swing it became apparent that perhaps this was not going to be as carefree as we had hoped.

Monday evening concerned at hot temperatures and tube lines likely to fail I persuaded Mum to come up later in the evening so as to miss the rush of rush hour and have half a chance of getting a seat. It worked well. I took my usual route home - a walk to Waterloo, train to Wimbledon and a quick cheat - bus to SavaCentre. I was home in time to chill out and open windows. Thankfully the tube was ok and we spent the evening drink chilled white wine and eating prawns and salad. I have to say its not often I have visitors to the flat so it was rather pleasant preparing food for two and chatting about my day at work etc etc. Quite relaxing. After food we planned our Tuesday - factoring in the 34 degree and general reluctance to spend to much time on the tube. I sat and watched BB much to my Mum's bemusement.

The shopping trip...

Tuesday was warm but the tubes were kind. Sadly the Bond Street stores were not. We tried on clothes and put them back. I baulked at cardigans in Selfridges retailing at £250 but which were essentially bits of wool erm 'knitted' together. I could have produced much the same when I was a teenager. Hey ho. I tried two dresses. But it was hot and I felt trussed. So I have decided to seek out a pukka tailored trouser suit. I did see some very elegant jackets.

And so to party!

At 2.30 we looked at eachother and returned home for a quick feed and a change of clothes. We met my Dad at Embankment and went to the Porterhouse on Maiden Lane. Tops stout. But perhaps 2 and half pints was stretching it after a day int he sun/heat! Our friends Mike and Shirley turned up and we had a beer. The original plan was to go to Brick Lane - but loathing of the tube meant I was keen to steer us somewhere different. We ended up in Wagamamas. I have to say I think it was a success! We all had a main, a side, glass of wine (or 2) and a dessert. 20 quid a head for a tops nosh. I was rather apprehensive about the long tables and benches. Sharing the table with other eaters has the potential to be explosive. But it was fine. Couples came and went and we chugged on and made convo were appropriate. I did find myself thinking if only I had a n other half so there were 6 of us not five - it would have made our table enclave safer! However - all in all a success.

My Dad enjoying his nosh!
Too busy chomping to even look up for a photo!

My city - my wandering wonderings!

I left them at Embankment - as they rushed for a train from Victoria. I decided to wander across the Golden Jubliee Bridge to Waterloo and soak up the warmth and the river in the dusk. There was a saxophonist on the bridge playing Happy Birthday. I smiled inwardly - Happy Birthday Mazza! It was a shame they couldn't have come for a walk too to soak up the evening as well. Mind you by the time I got home I had walked 10 miles over the course of the day and not spent the fortune I thought I might! That will come!!!

London like a candy box...

I got on the tube and got home to discover that Italy had won their semi. Sorry Germany. Which makes me wonder what the guys on the bridge with their flag were singing about so loudly.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you went to Bond Street for a weeding suit. I usually just wear some old jogging pants and a vest when I'm doing stuff in the garden ;)