Thursday, July 20, 2006

HeatWave

I woke up this morning after the best nights sleep I've had for a while. Turned on the radio to listen to Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel and then following that The Very World of Milton Jones which I find rather amusing. I heard the music and not much more...

... I awoke to Nicky Campbell saying he was in the car park outside the Lido. I thought I was dreaming. Still asleep. My mind playing tricks cos I had been to the Lido on Saturday. As I came to full consciousness it became apparent that Nicky C was indeed at Tooting Bec Lido - which was spooky cos as I said I had only discovered it for myself on the Hanging Gardens of Balham walk we took Saturday (full story to appear on Wander this Way!)

Anyway the flat was pretty cool still this morning. And the tube - well I got a seat and had my bottled water. However getting through the office door I knew we were in for a very long hot and tiresome day...


It was.

The temperature reached 36.3 degrees c outside Gatwick.. so I have now lived through the hottest day. As I walked home, the only one of millions wearing a sensible hat, I wondered if this was the beginning of what will become the change in our planet. In a few years time will today seem like a breeze - at least today the water is still flowing and the power still churning the air cons (not in our office - justy a fan per desk - madness). Is the city and the resource we take for granted about to kick us royally up the ass? This heat is so intense it makes you think maybe maybe something more sinister is afoot.

Had a weird dream last night - passed my driving test and was going to move out of London so I could own a car?!?! WHERE did that come from?!

Been wondering if a certain person being on holiday explains the distinct lack of comments today...? Except for Zig...Friends really ARE electric!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hottest day was, of course, hotter in London than anywhere else.

Sadly all the power and heat being churned out by air con just contributes further to the problem. Hey ho.

I fear that the sun may just be a figment of our memories in a decade or so.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Tooting Bec Lido!
He who was of American descent used to be a member there. He used the pool until October, therefore his monkeys must indeed have been brass.