Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Gillingham 2 - Millwall 1

Boy oh boy. I can't remember the last time a game of football felt more like a war game.
As a brief round up we won. Darren Byfield got booed and jeered a lot and the Millwall fans were their usual charmless selves. Mind you the Rainham End was more vocal than they have been for ages (what did Darren do that was so awful?). Anyway there were several 'handbag' moments on the pitch and a good smattering of yellow cards. No reds - credit to ref to be fair. 4 minutes added time so on 2, I nipped to tunnel early to avoid rush and make sure I got my train - my usual trick on a Tues night. But. But that was the easy bit..



View from the Rainham End ...

The walk back to the station was made difficult as the police were only letting Wall fans use the direct route. When asked if there was another way to station the response was yeah wait til this lot have gone, this while several fans were being grabbed and pushed up against the police vans. I could tell then that that wasn't going to be for a while. So I spotted a fellow London bound fan and followed him. Got to the station and as opposed to walking round to front ducked through side gate onto coast bound platform to cross over bridge to London bound side. My god the London bound side was 6 deep in raging Millwall fans who on spotting moving targets decided to throw coins across the tracks. The fuzz just let them, even when mentioned as passing them at the top of the steps. Grinning goons. It was just waiting to kick off. Not sure how many were arrested on Balmoral Road - but the MB says there were several groups arrested near their houses. Its moments like these which give the game its bad name and more to the point add weight to the myth that is Millwall.

I knew tonight would be spicey - it's the first time since the championship that there have been police at the station or indeed on the train down from London. Not sure if so many help or hinder really. Just encourage those fans who want to be mouthy and irritate those of us who don't want to miss our train.

Hey ho - no doubt more comment and observation tomorrow when I have calmed down a bit...

Needless to say back on form vs the Wall.. come on then kids where was your 'Real Talent, Real Passion & Real Football?' - More like 'Really Poor side; Really vile fans and Really nothing to recommend you to me.' Shame really. No-one Likes Us is a good song. I mean we even borrowed it for a few seasons. But not anymore - The Last Waltz... boy didn't that set of fans have the local bobbies dancing and a few of us fuming.

Right my head hurts and my bed beckons.. well done Gills - lets keep it up and collar the Swans on Saturday!

UTG!

No comments: