Wednesday, September 06, 2006

GFC - Admin?

There have been lots of stories on the MB and many posts about the dire debt we find ourselves in. There have even been Rotherham fans posting messages of support. As ever its the fans who will suffer and for a place like Gillingham the community. The club has an impact beyond the week in week out results at Priestfield - football in the community, the youth policy, summer soccer schools etc.. all events and projects which provide an outlet for the locals. I dread to think what state the Medway towns will become if this potentially bigger beacon is lost. The chairman needs to start working out a business plan to maximize inputs into the club. No more moaning on about the failed ITV Digital deals. They are history. The Medway Stand was over budget and by all acounts the function facilities are not generating the income the club would like. Results breed interest. Results depend to a certain degree on the qaulity of player on the pitch and hence the associated wage bill. We don't get TV money. We don't have a rich benefactor waiting to bail us out. We don't have the results and we are fast losing ticket sales a the turnstiles. Football is no longer romantic. Its business. And if a company were making such huge losses and not paying any dividends to its share holders heads would roll.
As a fan of my club I invest my cash in my team - in travelling, in buying a season ticket, in emotional ups and downs. I regard return on my investment differently to that on the return I'd expect from my savings plan, however I would say I was hardened and also fortunate enough to have those spare pounds to make that investment... I have seen us rise from Division Four to the heady heights of the Championship - trips to Leeds, Arsenal and Chelsea to boot our FA Cup dreams. And now I sit on the helter skelter as we slide back down - to where we belong perhaps? I fear not - we belonged in the Championship 'the plucky side from Kent'...
How much longer can the club go on leaking money and as the debt rises the fans depart like rats and the proverbial sinking ship?
Our chairman was shocked by the chants on Friday night. I recommend he get used to it, as unless he unveils a miracle plan very soon I suspect they are going to get much louder and more frequent....Yet is administration the answer? Automatically lose 10 points and face the reality of Division Four once more... and this time it will be a sticky quagmire with fewer chances of escaping. Yet through all this the headline football story today? Gallas threatening to score an own goal in his first game for Chelsea if they refused to let him go.. I suspect his wages for 2 years would knock a nice dent in our debt. Madness. Utter madness.
For my readers who dislike my footballing posts - I make no apologies. This is part of my life and I will be sharing progress good or bad as and when I want to. Beware - I have a feeling it's going to be a very very rocky season.

No comments: