Friday, September 15, 2006

Football

An considered update.

Wednesday morning Five Live were talking about fans leaving early. And how you should never leave early - and name the game you left early and wished you hadn't. I nearly texted in to say game I wish I had left early and the reasons why.. oh yeah to avoid abuse and missiles. But I didn't.

It seems the press still have this remit to convey to us how rosy everything is in the fans garden (except England games when the hooligans become prime documentary fodder again). Well clearly it is not.

I fully understand that GFC are seen as the local enemy. We live in caravans, they live in tower blocks. But even in previous meetings (admittedly Saturday afternoons) I don't recall scenes like Tuesday. I do recall boarded up pubs and generally waiting for a later train, maybe that's why I have missed all this 'action' in the past, but certainly not the anger and desire to get stuck in. I wonder what it would have been like if they had won and been strutting their stuff? Will I go to the away fixture? Maybe I will - just to get a balanced view. Away crowds do tend to be more vocal and predominantly males who want to spend their spare cash on a Saturday away day. But this was a Tuesday - an evening. Mmm. Maybe more beers pre train down and then some on the train. I am keen to see how the fans are on their own turf.

Quick aside! I bought my 06/07 shirt on Tuesday (another rant on that front - 40 quid for badly sewn together pieces of horrid material 'stitched' together in some kind of random way - disgraceful) and today when emptying out my rucksack (to put new reads in) I found a plastic bracelet (like the make poverty history ones) which is blue, and white (and red - another rant moment looms!) but says 'The Gills Twelfth Man' and rather patronisingly 'Never Look Back'. Huh some of us don't forget the past - our past. So now I have two! The other is even less obvious! Thanks Dad! Both are now hot discussion points!

No comments: