Thursday, September 21, 2006

5 years ago

I was on an aeroplane bound for Australia for the first time. But 9 days post 9/11 and going via Dubai and Singapore. Nothing like a long flight on your own to have a good think about things. Which at the time included going to Mr G's native land. Flying. Terrorism. Seeing my brother.
Dubai airport - drinking pints of Guinness and talking to Journalists who were heading out to the less safe parts of the world. I would go on to see Melbourne, South Bank, Yarra River, Tasmania's Hobart, Port Arthur, The Great Ocean Road, the Twelve Apostles, Adelaide, and fall in love with Sydney. The Grand Final weekend. Meeting the mad tour guide Bernie. Teaching the European travellers all our best swear words whilst drinking too much beer and wine. Discovering Toohey's Old and Cascade Stout.
I guess for me the best part was discovering new places with my brother - for both of us for the first time. We both remember getting off the train at Circular Quay and being on Sydney Harbour (mind you I had just dragged him to Paramatta to see the haunts of Mr G). We went to pub quizzes. Made new friends. Shared hang overs and photo opportunities. We laughed a lot and fell out only once! I came home safe and sound to family and friends and a huge bunch of red roses. Aah life was good!
Now I am preparing to revisit some of the those places. My hair slightly longer and my fears lessened - I know the Australian feel and to be honest I love it. 5 years on I'm about to see my brother start the next phase of his life. New starts. New experiences.
New South Wales! Sadly don't think I am going to make it to Sydney - but hey I have great memories of it! NYE 2004 - the Fortune of War, the fire works and the bus trip in and out from Baulkham Hills, across the Harbour Bridge - seeing the boats all lit up. Fab!

No comments: