Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Longpigs...

On and On...

Weird coincidence day. A friend who I haven't spoken to for ages was in touch today. A old flame from my Bristol days (how we met and our long simmering 'romance' is a post in itself) was chatting about life now and the usual catch up topics. Anyway before I left Bristol I made him some music tapes - yes cassettes not c-ds - and one of the songs on it was On and On my the Longpigs, a tune I have not heard for ages. Well whilst trying to plan my Team System presentation I was listen to BBC 6 music and they played the session version of the song - from 1995. It gave me one of those warm inward glows you get when a song takes you back to a time and place, and a person.

The thing with memories is that they are like precious pebbles on the beach. You pick them up and admire them and then place back. People from my past are always on my beach - and when you need to be reminded of past successes or indeed hurts they can be found. I have been wandering along my beach for a few days now, beach combing for ideas and direction. There are so many strong and shiny pebbles on the beach. Larger ones for the people who have played a greater part in my life. The rocks of my family and the shingle of people who I have known for only brief moments but connected with nevertheless. Underneath it all is the sand shifting on a daily, monthly and yearly basis. The seas wash over the memories and make them sparkle or dampen them because the present is far more exciting. Sometimes it is good to sit on your beach and pick up a pebble and just be heartened by what you learnt and felt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure about the image here. When you find a pebble on the beach you do not put it back on the beach; you chuck it into the sea.

And memories are not as immutable as pebbles. They are soggier; more like rained-on chip newspaper on Bridlington beach.