Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Big Brother-less

As I walked along the Victoria Embankment I realised that tonight there would be no Big Brother to watch. The summer is therefore officially over. What would I watch instead? How would I cope without my daily dose of voyuerism? (Coped-Washing, cleaning, cooking, feeling generally dopey and knacked)
SO what did I get from the experience? My first full Big Brother? Well I learnt a lot about human nature. It's not really much different in there from out here. I guess that in real life it gets played out over a greater period of time. I noticed how my sympathies varied. I latched on to the humourous ones and wondered endlessly how many clothes they all had as I rarely saw the girls in the same outfit twice and on many days they wore at least two outfits. Also how did they manage to keep their tans so immaculate? Nails? Hair? Did any of them suffer from constipation? Why didn't any of them any talk about literature? Films?
The big thing I learnt - well whilst the camera was watching the house mates... Big Brother was also affecting me. I was only seeing what BB wanted me too. Only getting the side of the story BB felt I should. I was as much under the camera as the housemates. As they were leaving I felt saddened that I hadn't really learnt anything of substance about most of the housemates... why was Nikki so dramatic? Where did Richard culivate his humour? What subjects did Glyn do for A Levels? etc etc. Where were those day to day questions? How did they keep their underwear pristine white? How often did they wash their bedding?
I cannot say I will want to watch BB2007. For me this was a programme to watch alone. No interruptions. So I could make notes and think about it. For me it will be remembered as part of the heatwave - namely closing the windows sothat my neigh bours were spared the endless swearing and loudness. Now the windows are closed and the cameras switched off. Back to live footie on the radio and hopefully some decent BBC dramas/travelogues....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I s'pose the thing about BB is that it can work on many levels - a study of human behaviour/personal politics/contemporary attitudes & values; an assessment of the way that a TV viewer interacts with those that produce BB - who is being exploited - housemates, viewers, or both (or indeed, neither)? Or it can work purely on the level of being a voyeur - oooh er. Whatever the case, there is a gap in the life of BB fans now and what can we do to fill it?

Anonymous said...

You can fill the void with copies of OK, Hello, and Heat magazine...you know you want to :P

Karoona said...

I filled the void last night with Internet radio and the Gills losing.

Somehow it wasn't the same as knowing the nominatiojrxnkns!!