Tuesday, November 06, 2007

High Streets

Not often I can say this but I actually had a very interesting compliment paid to me today...:

'am not too kind at all - you have a great mind.

You know - High Streets in England are all the same.
On street level it's just another WHSmith / Carphone Warehouse / Burger King. Big plastic signs over the doors. Selling the same stuff you can get anywhere else. Bland homogenisation.
And people are like that too.
But there are places that have really cool High Streets or little back alleys and passageways full of interesting little shops selling stuff you've never even thought of, where you can get stuff you couldn't get anywhere else.

You're like that.'

I nearly cried when I read it - as it had come from a fairly unexpected source. So thank you mate.

6 comments:

Karoona said...

A friend then wrote to me and said...
"Shall I compare thee to the High Street in Pinner?
Thou art less strewn with Chez Gerrard
And the vigorous-old searching for their dinner.
Flatten'd chewing gums pockmarks thy cheeks
And a chipshop wrapping left their for weeks"

Karoona said...

And in light of my GFC fixture..

"Shall I compare thee to the shop at the end of the alley?
In Doncaster they name would'st be the Happy Valley
And to thy environs the seekers of sin go
To buy some pleasures with winnings from the bingo."

Anonymous said...

...it's a good analogy, but I'm shocked to discover you have a little back alley.

Anonymous said...

baggy, I have just spilt soup down myself laughing at your post.

Anonymous said...

what dreadful ditties from your friend!

Karoona said...

I am beginning to wish I had kept the moment to myself!

Am on a date this evening - so I shall be sure to avoid the alley's of Soho!