Thursday, November 01, 2007

New Horizons

Do you run away or run towards when you go in search of new horizons?

I had a very interesting conversation with a Canadian on Saturday evening, who told me that to see the world you had to move your way around it. I argued by the mere fact he was in the pub I was also seeing the world - if you take the view that it is people who make the difference to how a place is. I can look at pictures of places in any number of ways these days. He seemed bemused and asked me if I thought a lot. Clearly I do I responded and he valiantly tried to continue to engage me. He had been here there and everywhere. Amusingly he like many before assumed I was Australian - as if being English and actually being in England is unheard of. I had though been to San Francisco and he had not. He later disappeared - perhaps looking to find an easier target up north in Tooting.

But it does make me wonder. If you stay put the world eventually revolves around you.

If you go round the world do you ever catch what you perceive to be chasing? When do you know you have seen enough? Do you ever - and that's true for both states.

For me new horizons are about learning how to do new things - so currently my choice of course ranges from Creative Writing - to give some structure to my already unstructured efforts here on line. (And face it if I get structure I may just be good enough to make some decent money out of the one thing I love - writing and go towards a new horizon.) I have this at option No 3 at the moment because writing is by its nature fairly solitary and short term I am looking for means of branching out (the world in my immediate life has stopped visiting - the wall paper fading - same old patterns less vibrancy).

Next up - I have a deep desire to learn French and pack up and live amongst the muses and architecture of Paris. Some would argue I could go tomorrow - but I want to feel at a certain level of ease with my fellow country men and not cussed at for not knowing the lingo.

My other dream at the moment is to get involved in a photographic group and meet new people, take photos and be challenged. The real day dream part of this option is becoming or indeed meeting a muse. Just think of the solarized pictures I could take then!!!

Anyway once I have done some more research and got some figures and time commitments I'll let you know my decision! Ultimately I want to be free to be creative and succeed by my own hand instead of being lost as a cog in a large chewing organisation.

No comments: