Thursday, November 01, 2007

New Books

So in my current frame of mind I sought refuge in Waterstones, Trafalgar Square. It was early and the thought of packed trains and tubes convinced me to prolong my city side adventure for the day.

There's nothing better than browsing in book shops and letting the mind wander. I start in the section I have just mentally closed. 'U' for Updike. Oh dear very very few to chose from and I still have 'Couples' at home waiting to be digested. I suspect that will stay unread for a few weeks yet as I battle with the solo notion once more. However I console myself and buy 'Villages' and 'Seek My Face'. Both feature older people recounting their lives and maybe I hope to fine solace in among the leaves.
I then stray to 'R' for Roth and 'T' for Tyler but nothing catches my eye. So I slum over to the 3 for 2 counter (Waterstones are the only book shop to still do this - better than Borders/Books etc where you now buy 1 and get another half price). I fight with tourists eager to grab a bargain. And then it happens. Coupland's latest lands in my hand like a nugget of gold. I was unaware a new work was pending. So I blink and put it back on a pile. Where are the rest? Is it really in the 3 for 2? Yes! It is!
So now my dilemma is finding 2 other books. I end up with the light weight but trusted Douglas Kennedy's 'Temptation' - oh the irony and the my final choice is a book entitled - 'Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name' by Vendela Vida. For some reason I have it in my head that going to see the Northern Lights would be wonderful. Hopefully this read will seal it.
Now I am sat here I know my intention had been to find Alice Sebold's latest 'The Almost Moon' (if you read the Lovely Bones you know exactly who I am talking about) but I got distracted. Oh well.
I can though report that I am already well into The Gum Thief. The opening ambit got me straight in...
'A few years ago it dawned on me that everybody past a certain age ... pretty much constantly dream of being able to escape from their lives.' I'll let you know if Roger and Bethany find the escape as knowing Coupland the action will not involve heroic moves or transformations...

No comments: