Monday, May 17, 2010

Worried About the Boy

I have had 'Do you really want to hurt me?' in my head all night and all morning...And the make up. Such glamorous make up. D Booth really suited it. (Reminding me first crushes were men with long hair! Still fascinated by androgyny) And the total sense of freedom.. to do as you pleased. Whatever happened to underground movements like the Blitz Club? And why oh why was I just too young to be a part of it... (I got Indie and MadChester - not too bad I guess). 'Worried About the Boy' was minimal in its use of dialogue. It was all about presence and look. The ambiguous vs the romantic. At 10.20pm I wondered if we were ever going to see Culture Club in action. As it was we shared dingy squats contrasted against Hampstead opulence. Long hair vs short hair. The bright mask that his make up afforded vs the stark bare faced drug addicted sadness. In either state he was lonely and needy. I just had the tunes in my head. 'It's a Miracle' was always a family amusement. The year I got Barbie very tight denim shorts... how on earth were they going to fit? I was 8/9 when this was all happening. Whenever Boy George was on TV my father freaked. I was always intrigued. Being a kid in the 80's, living in a village, was very odd looking back... all ruffles and synthy music...big hair and baggy clothes...all going on somewhere else.
I am not sure London holds that same pull anymore... who comes to Central London looking for a movement? Where would you find it?

This morning in an attempt to move it on from Karma Chameleon.. I listened to Anthems - MOS Electronic 80's. Ah such tunes. 'Are Friends Electric' cheered me as I wandered down the rather busy/cramped Cheapside...but my thoughts on that stretch of road are another story and liable to make me swear lots....
Karoona

No comments: