Sunday, March 16, 2008

Gillingham 0 - Crewe 3

That was quite possibly the most depressing game I have ever watched. I felt numbness and resignation. I hate to think that my prophecies may be coming true - but the non-league experiment is failing to ignite the penalty box.. well at our end at least.

I was in a buoyant mood as I set off from London. The sun had come out, I was wearing my all singing and dancing kick flare jeans (I am in love with them the narrow waist and wide legs just make you look well sexy - oh to have been in my early 20's in the early 70's - Bowie and flares.) and had managed to get the right train, no engineering works, no fights en route. I even texted Pops to say I had a good feeling about the game.

Had is of course the operative word. I had hoped for goals galore from our lads. Bentley was back and Twiglet started, Crofty has been scoring and King was fit again. Ah yes. The rest of the team, painters and decorators who have joined the team for some work experience.

The crowd were moderate in numbers but loud in voice. Oh the irony. The louder we got the more we felt we could score. Each time it was Crewe who did. So in the 9th minute we were caught on the hop by a bad goal clearance which bobbed and bounced from red shirt to red shirt into the net. The blue shirts were no where to be seen.

The afternoon was greying in.

Half time. The usual suspects appeased their anguish with pies, chips, hot dogs, burgers and more chips.

Second half - more noise. Another Crewe goal. 57 minutes our latest loan signing gets sent off so he won't play for us again this season. Finally glossy head decides to finally remove the 'Statuesque' (had to get that Sleeper song reference in as it played on my random Walkman choice - Playlist = Freakscene. Remind me to recount my rediscovery for Rage Against The Machine too sometime) Delroy Facey - he is without doubt the least likely striker ever. Let's look at the evidence - never moves, never gets in the box (too scared) and erm never scores. The substitutions made little difference however and again it was Crewe who scored.

As the third went in the 'faithful' departed. The true macohists like me, Pops, the twins, Arfur and Colin stuck it out to the bitter end. However as the final whistle went and the cries of Scally Out reverbed round the Rainham End is was with shell shock I remained still. Seated. Head in hands. The dreams are over. The new stadium, the poxy fireworks against Tranmere, the 4-nil defeats of the last few games. We had to beat Crewe today to stay in contact with the bottom teams. But we had nothing. We had no fight. No-one looks like scoring. It's woeful.

My predicted motivation - lessens with each parted 9 quid train fare and wasted Saturday.

We left the ground. It was raining. Cold. Grey. Sums it up really.

Att: 4,956. - all of whom could perhaps have found something more inspiring to do - like pick up litter for a couple of hours.

[There was an incident at the front of our Block - not sure what or who - but it was certainly more riveting than the on pitch action]

Also note - Ebbsfleet - going to Wembley - they will soon be our local rivals....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chin up old friend! You never know, you may yet escape. If your lot do go down, and my lot do too, we should meet up and drown our sorrows!

Karoona said...

Oh for sure - thank you for your optimism but I really have lost mine.

Doomed.

Anonymous said...

Not so funny losing this week was it and how did the "big 4" do?
PC Anon x

Karoona said...

We KEEP losing so for me it hasn't been funny for weeks...

As for big 4 - to whom are you referring? You know me I do not follow the 'top 4 of the Prem'!