Saturday, March 15, 2008

Books etc

I finished Revolutionary Road last week. It's taken me a week to give the goss on it. That is actually a good thing for when I completed it last week I was stumped for ways to describe it - now with a week to think about it some more - to let it sink in I can say it did make an impact on me. It's the 'in your face' vividness of Updike's Rabbit books (I can still feel Rabbit driving alone in his car - escaping; and feel the waters of the holiday the couples all took - Miss Murkett et al) with Frank and April well I felt little until the tragic end. Then the novel unraveled again for me and suddenly I was connecting and understanding and to be honest despairing of the life they had been living. I can see it would be an easy plot to take to the screen and no doubt Winslet as April will be in parts simpering and strong but I am not so sure I will go and fragment the now solid pair who reside in my mind.

So I have now turned back to Updike to see if beyond Rabbit there are other characters I can place in my trophy cabinet mind... 'Villages', Owen and Julia. I'll let you know.

No comments: