Monday, March 17, 2008

Rainy Days and...

Sundays?

I had lots to share whilst I was walking round the streets of SW19 at 8am this morning. The weather decidedly damp and darkened. But the lure of 'The Observer' and the fact I spent all last Sunday in agony in my bed meant I was determined to make the most of today...

And so I did. Glad to have removed myself from St Paddy Day celebrations in the pub last night (I went for 2 pints to drown post 'Girls' crap performance sorrows) I was able to wake up with a clear head and better still did not appeared to have upset anyone in my departure last night and from what I can tell am still being spoken to despite my rather rude about turn out of pub. OK okay I left in time to get back for Casualty and Love Soup! True gem of TV. Oh Alice I so understand your traumas and when she put the photo together and it was HIM - the one - I was so gutted for her. The Mr Right she cannot have. 'I smiled sadly for the love I could not obey'. (Name that tune!) Grr why is life so infuriating?

Anyway I digressed. I was meaning to share 2 anecdotes from last Saturday actually. My non-changing red light story and red light crossing cyclist erm sees red story...

So first up - the route of my walk talks me through a trading-ish estate and the road has been up there for ages whilst the Thames water company rearrange the tarmacadam and supposed sort London's Victorian drains. I do this section every weekend and some mornings there have people working there (clearly deranged cos they have been known to whistle at me - despite the fact that my walking gear makes me look a refugee) and on other occasions the pipes have been leaking - amazing jets of water upwards to the skies - and passing cars pay no attention. Last Saturday the lights at the main road end seemed not to be working. None were lit - so drivers were assuming that they had the right of way it being the left lane. However as I approached the other end of the roadworks by walking the not insignificant curve of the road it became apparent that the other end was red. Permanently. There was quite a queue. A restless queue in fact. Blind sided the impatient Sunlight lorry and several cars made a break for it as an estate car was coming merrily along what he assumed was his right of way. For several moments I watched as Whacky Races unfolded before me. With all queued traffic now through there were no cars. I continued walking. Oh dear. The next queue started to form unaware that the light was stuck. I turned into Sunhill territory and kept pace. My last look behind me revealed the same van patiently waiting for a change.. Good luck I thought to myself.

I turned left onto the path which follows the Wandle towards Sainsos. It was pleasant - well apart from the slung empty cans, bottles and fag ends (litter is becoming my new bug bear - its everywhere Grr.) I reached the end passed the waterwheel and up the slope towards the pedestrian crossing. The lights were changing and coming across the road on a bike was a 'lady' with a kid sat on the back. The approach to the lights was narrower than usual due some pathway works so I waited such that she could cross the road and pass me safely. Except she slowed down - and kept slowing so I knew I would not make the pedestrian crossing before the lights changed. Maybe my face gave me away but she got slower and then at the narrow point stopped and looked at me with pure disdain and said something I am sure unpleasant. I removed my earphones and said 'Sorry' and then walked on. The lights had by then changed so I had to wait - as I did so I was sure she would tackle me again. Either way on the other side and further along the river I did actually want to cry. What is it with the average human today - why are they so aggressive and ungracious? I actually felt threatened even though in my head I was doing her a favour and not pushing on at any expense.

Suffice to say the Gills hat has not been worn walking since - just in case. As it was this morning it was far too wet for many people to even bother leaving the house. I prefer it like that. Quiet.
Aside from litter (wine bottles, polish lager, dog shite, plastic bags and empty take away cartons) I was struck by daffodils, blossoming trees, budding bushed and the sweet scent of hyacinths (that smell always reminds me of primary school) in various gardens.

Home. Shower. The Archers. Bacon sarnie (my treat!). Ironing. Sort out very wet clothes on washing line. Go to Next and ponder a new suit. Any excuse to wear Kick Flares! Home settle down for Grand Prix having avoided hearing result all day...

Tea. Spag bol and now this... I feel though my muse has left me now...

No comments: