Sunday, August 19, 2007

Gillingham 0 - Tranmere 2

I should have guessed really. I sauntered into the ticket office to pick up my season ticket. And I was the only one in there. No screaming hordes. No queue out into the road. It was 1.45pm. I went and met Pa and we wandered to the first home game of season 07/08. Outside the ground was a van with the brand 'The Worlds Greatest'. We um'ed and ah'ed. Worlds greatest what???
Dad bought his traditional 1 of 2 programmes for the season the first and at some point the last game souvenir... there was a queue - they'd run out. More came. They had increased to 3 quid and looked more like a glossy brochure for kit wear...

We took our seats and noticed odd items on the pitch. The twins were back and in fact all the regulars from last season were there. The odd items.....


... Fire works to see in the optimistic chairman's new season. The world's greatest anti-climatic hopeful start.

As I sit here now I still can't get myself motivated to say too much. The team is essentially all new - but it felt like more of the same and with no Jarvis to lighten the mood it was hard to feel any real emotion for the blue shirts on the pitch. By the time I got back to London it was grey, raining and cooler. I felt like I had been watching a game in November with deepen despair for my team. It's only August.

Yes they may need time to settle and learn to play together. But a quick scout around the other results and the ex-Gills players have been scoring and more importantly starting the season as they no doubt intend to continue it. The MB is full of woe and the club's marketing, whilst valiant, is somehow missing the point - we never looked like scoring and we didn't seem to want too. It took a good hour before a remotely exciting run took place.

I suspect I am going to find this season hard to keep motivated about. I hope I am wrong but the promises of going up and Championship football next season seem incredibly hollow at the moment. Oh well - its a marathon not a sprint and maybe somewhere down the track I'll feel differently - but right now I am pretty disillusioned with the beautiful game.

No comments: