Sunday, August 05, 2007

So summer arrives...

and the shops have their winter ranges in, the first game of the football season kicks off, and somehow it all feels too late.

It is very close and warm outside - that smell of heated concrete and housing filling the nostrils. The local shopping parade was heaving with people who have forgotten what else to do in the sunshine this morning. Sorry Mum I was too late and by the time I got to Argos it was MANIC. So I gave up the fight and returned home. I'll go after work tomorrow. Fewer people. I hope.

My answer for the sunshine? Well I just sat and watched the Grand Prix... and now against my better judgment listening to two dull teams have a leisurely game of footie at the 'New' Wembley Stadium. Nope sod it - I am going use this opportunity to listen to the Archers - here live through my computer while I type. I am determined to not acknowledge the start of the season until I have had a few weeks of summer. So all those signings the Gills have made and all the gossip can wait. Mid September maybe a better time to re-engage.

There are some benefits to it being August - school holidays - makes for fewer people on the tube in the mornings. The evenings differ cos by then the tourists have woken up. But all in all the British summer has gone from nowhere to scorching in the space of a week. I am guessing it won't last. It does also mean that there are fewer people at work. School holidays mean people going off for their 2 week family holiday. In theory means fewer work demands - bit of time to plan and get strategic. Do you realise Friday was the first time this year I have worn sandals to work? Crazy. This time last year I was greeting the end of the 2 month heatwave!

Summer. Foot and mouth returns. Flood damage still a problem. No drought. Yet.

No comments: