Tuesday, January 01, 2008

NYE

And so its 8.45pm on New Years Eve. I am at my PC at home. By myself. Listening to the Archers, having missed it yesterday due to morning stomp.
Yup 2007 ends pretty much as it started. Here with my thoughts. This time last year it was a Sunday so hiding away was easier...
Throughout the whole of the Christmas I have been keeping an open mind and staying centred so I can enjoy myself and not get bogged down by 'what if's' or 'if only's'. If anything I have just moved myself away from events accepted them and moved on. It was not until this evening as I was walking along the Embankment that the sadness hit me. I can wander freely in my city - but just walking along there took me back to an incident which happened a month or so ago. Sadness. I can't walk the route and share so I drank it in by myself. I dawdled for portions watching the dusk fade and night fall. The lights of the RFH green, red and purple. The Eye lit like a flame in readiness for its performance at midnight. Portable toilets lining the park fences still and sentry like waiting for bladder full tourists and locals who have been out all night drinking and celebrating. The stillness was enough for me. The same scene will await me in the next year and I can watch the blossom return, fall the leaves spread and cover the branches once more. The river, the sky and the bridges. They will be there tomorrow for me to enjoy. It was decadent walking it this evening having the space to myself. Home, tea, some red wine and my trusty radio. Perfect end to a perfect year?! No such thing as perfect - just the things which make you happy.

No comments: