Wednesday, January 16, 2008

No Country for Old Men

Last night I was fortunate enough to have won a free ticket to see 'No Country for Old Men'. A film by the Coen brothers. I suspect I might have needed to better inform myself of the Coen's work - however.. I dashed out of work to ensure I was at Wimbledon Odeon in time. Good thing I did - the cinema was heaving. Event once I sat down more and more couples came piling in. Sometimes being a lone ranger means you can sit anywhere! At the time of writing the film has yet to be on general release or indeed received too many UK reviews - so here's one from the US. From my point of view... well I laughed in places, I physically jumped, I shrieked and I hid behind my hands. This film is wanton death by bullet. At two hours it was quite a slow mover. Beautifully shot and the characters strong. When I left the cinema my usual bouncy step was nowhere to be seen. I walked home doubting every passing car and from the corner of my eye everyone was wielding a shotgun. As I thought more about it I can see the parallels to the Western. This is a modern day 'send up' of a Western. Where once it was horses its now trucks - tho the Sheriff still uses a horse in one scene. The handover scene. That said I sort of enjoyed 'The 3.10 to Yuma' more. I think.
This film is not for the faint hearted as it is a bloody and violent film. Once you have got your stance on that at the right level it is an enjoyable watch. Enjoyable. Okay maybe over egging it - but it certainly has an impact and makes you consider the western and how the west of America is now. This film obliterates any romantic notion you may have of the wild west.
Then my dad rang this evening and mentioned he fancied it. Hope he is OK with the self bullet wound treatment scene which takes place. Oh and dad there is a lot of blood and I know how it makes you feel!!
As for me - I want to gen up on the Coen's and see what else they have offered up. I suspect my opinion of No Country for Old Men will alter as I get further from it.

No comments: