Monday, January 21, 2008

Gillingham 0 - Northampton Town 1

Not sure what was worse. The train or the game.
There were engineering works on the trains which meant my trip took 1 hour and 30 minutes (oh yes it was 'fast' via Strood - this is code for a very slow crawl though the real sarf east of London and the barren wastelands of Dartford, Slade Green and Gravesend). It did mean the train was very empty.
The delay meant I had to get my bag into the ground. Gifts for folks. A quick search and I was ushered in. Dad gets his Tardis money box and Mazza her coasters!
Well 3 mins in and King had given away a free kick and the Cobblers had scored. The rest of the first half was very sloppy. Some returning players meant that once more the team were trying to gel with each other. Half time.
Gills did try harder second half and were pressurizing the goal lots, but so were Northants, though the impetus was with us. Dad turned to me and said 'You get the feeling that this is it don't you. We just don't seem to be able to get it right'. It was true as the away side decided that falling over was a good option Andy D'Urso (Essex) seemed as keen to make us suffer. A trend of all Essex refs we have had over the last few months.
We did not score. The Gills did not win and I ducked out at the added time board to get the 'fast' train back to London. Painless enough - plenty to read.
Tube. Fine until the last stint of the northern line. Some drunken 'fan' decided to holla at me from half way down the carriage, not sure what he was saying as I was plugged it. But fingers were being raised and he was full vitriol. As I suspected he thought my scarf was a n other club. He was yelling at me cos he hated Chelsea and thought that was my team. Moron. He did venture down carriage to check scarf. Bit late I felt. I was quite shirty in my response to him. The rest of the carriage were also fairly unimpressed by his behaviour. Idiot git. He didn't even apologise when he realised he had been yelling abuse at a fan of a team he didn't even know. Twat.

No comments: