Sunday, January 03, 2010

37...


Yup so yesterday was my birthday. People who know me well are aware that I tend to keep myself to myself and spend the day by myself. The normal routine is a walk, a treat of a doughnut and then a cinema excursion. This year however my beloved Gills were in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup and due to play a less than glam away tie at Accrington Stanley ('who are they?' I swear if I hear that quoted once more I will go even more loopy!). After much confusion as to my desire to go my Pater bought the ticket and we were signed up for the supporters coach. And yes it was a coach and not a mini-bus. In fact there were 2 lots of 53 seaters leaving Medway and trooping up north. So at 5.30am on my birthday I was awake and getting my many layers ready. Somehow my Dad had agreed to steward on the coach trip. This broadly means collecting travelling fans coach money and dispensing with teas n coffees on way back. It also meant I got to sit at front with Pops. It also meant most people also then found out it was my birthday... Joy.


I was very lucky to get a lovely card from my miles away brother and also from the folks - and rather fittingly my Gillingham 1970's retro shirt! Just what you need on a cold January morning for footie...
So armed with new shirt, rolls and I'm sure a well full hip flask off we set... Frosty roads and a chill in the air. The coach arrived at 6.45am and by 7am we were on the road. Pick ups along the way and then as we got to Gillingham the increasing sense that a pitch inspection at 10am was gonna say match off. Hey ho. So Pops collects money. We reach Watford Gap and wait til 10.15am to hear the outcome. Sure enough we are returning to Gillingham. So Pops then has to dish out a refund. And before you know it we are back in Kent. By now my mood is slightly distracted. I have not got to see any footie, but at least my team are still in the draw and more importantly we are all back in one piece. The reason for distraction.. the feeling I'd upset someone enough for them to not text me on my birthday. The sense I was losing grip again. So once home Ma and I went for a hour and half stomp. The countryside quiet and beautifully tinted by the winter sunlight. The birds all singing along the way. The walk helped clear my head. Tea at the folks - steak and kidney pie. Scrummy! Feature length Casualty - I mean how good can it get!!! Then bed.
So there it goes. Another birthday. A slight tinge of regret that I let my distraction take over my day. I did though get some tops messages for various people - so thank you Stu, Lisa, Baggy, Lord RDM, the Actor for a late night phonecall (!), Lucy, Jayne, Paul, Ziggy, Sparky, Mini, Shirley and of course Mum and Dad who put up with me no matter what. Ta.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's my thank you! My text fingers worked...PC Anon x

Karoona said...

I suspect you are sending to the wrong number as I haven't had a text from you in eons!!!!!!!! But thanks!! ;-)

Karoona said...

I do not appear to have your correct mobbie number - but you defo have the right one 4 me.. ?! try again!?