Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Lady Chat'ley

Is completed. Aside from the few sexual scenes, physical expressions of the same coin, it was the most intimate story I have read and also an insightful commentary on society at that time. It also made me laugh in places. Connie and Mellors. I actually believed in their love and their expression thereof. It wasn't gratuitous in the way the tabloids are today. It was quite touching. Rekindled my beliefs in a way.. (apart from when two blokes were pointing it out to me on the tube last Friday... thankfully my earphones meant I heard nowt! Sure it gave them a thrill....)
Think 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' next...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tess is a cracking read - but Far from the Madding Crowd is less depressing.

Never read Lady C!

Karoona said...

I read it as part of my A-Levels and have a strong recollection for the colour red... I also want to read it before I watch the TV version soon out on Beeb 1. Highly recommend Lady C - and I will seek out Far from the Madding Crowd (sure that's an album by someone too...)

Karoona said...

silly me - far from the maddening crowd - chicane...