Tuesday, January 06, 2009

You shall go to the ball...

I could happily have spent all day Monday looking for Internet reports on yesterday's big match at the Priestfield but as it was I had already precluded that option from my day!
Today was Pantomime day @ the New Wimbledon Theatre - my Dad's Christmas present - and also when purchased bought with a view to cheering us up after the day before. But we were already chirpy - well apart from the cold snow in Kent and the Nationwide Building Society being utter imbeciles. Thanks to their it takes 3 people to sort a problem out (which they failed to do having created it to start with) we got to the theatre at 1.50pm - the show starting at 2pm. I think I have fallen in love with the theatre as it is quite small and very music hall - it feels palatial without being huge and in the midst of lots of other bustle. We had already seen Alistair McGowan making his way form the tube station towards the theatre as we headed in the opposite direction to join a lengthy queue in the Nationwide. The theatre wasn't full - but there was a real mix of people in - from families, to a school outing to the OAP's minibus trip out - plus me, Mum and Dad (who was still chuffed that his Bus Pass was valid in London - I sense my mum's fear at being 60 this year has lessened very slightly at the thought of free bus travel across London - she will be visiting often!)
Lights down... stage lights up and we get Gareth Gates crooning, Stacey from Gavin & Stacey being Welsh and McGowan doing flawless impressions. We also get two fantastically over the top Ugly Sisters (these men must love heels and tights as they had at least 8 costume changes) and Ronn Lucas the ventriloquist with Scorch and Buffalo Billy as puppets. Possibly the star of the show was the audience victim - Peter - who was stalked throughout the performance by the Ugly Sisters and got to be a ventriloquist's dummy - and who also forgot the name of his wife. It was all very well performed - the sets being suitably sparkly and real ponies for the coach etc etc. The jokes were pitched for all levels and Dad & I laughed heartily at the McGowan jibes at Premiership footballing legends. All in all tops entertainment. Dad got chatted up by a pensioner who thought he was Welsh. We went for a pint in the Wetherspoons opposite the theatre then headed back to CW via bus of course for a very tasty curry in my local. Tops day in the end!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tops day indeed and do you know I do believe that ventriloquist's dummy may have come home with me 'cos I seem to spend a fair time talking to myself!!!