Monday, January 19, 2009

Blue Monday

Apparently today is the most depressing day of the year. Call in sick day. (I did last Monday and I want to get back to my swimming so today I am here).
Frankly the Northern Line this morning did seem to want to enforce this assertion. But I was carefree. I left earlier than usual. Got a seat and the signal probs at Camden were fixed and we sailed through probs at Balham. It went down hill at Borough, but by then I was close enough. Out of tube. Lifts out of service! Ha ha. So stairs and daylight. It had stopped raining and the 133 bus had seats. I got to London Bridge and thought well let's walk, the sun is out. So did. A few others were late and bemoaning the state of the day. Somewhere in the recess of my mind I decided to make today a good day. It's Sparky's b-d and for him it has also been the day of his mum's funeral so I knew someone somewhere was having a tougher go at the 19th Jan than I was. I got to work and put on a less stern face. Made elevenses. Said good morning. Smiled. Suggested lunch. Bought teas and cake for more world weary types. Sparky left a message at 11.20am. 10.20pm his time. He had got through his day - as had his family. I rang him back and checked in. It's still a few weeks until he returns to the UK. My plans have all changed again. Not off to Oz now - but planning a fortnight somewhere else - in the sun and away from news and crisis. (Well hopefully!!).
So whilst it may statistically be the most depressing day - let's not give in to media hype.
Chin up people. Soon be Friday! And the Gills won at the weekend!

No comments: