Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Weekender - Fri/Sat

Well Friday's quick pint turned into something of a session - I suspect much needed!
Couple (OK 4) pints of Master Brew in the Bishops Finger - followed by several vodka cokes in a local establishment I found myself in. The local establishment is not really a replacement for the beloved Nelson but it has its moments. So after meeting a few more friendly locals I discovered my pit at 1am. Nice.

Saturday morning I was remarkably bright and breezy and sorted my washing - went for a wander at some local shops (new trainers; new bag - for work so I can carry stuff on my back not under my arm which restricts pace and some girlie make up for impending May Ball) and returned home in time for footballing history.

Yes the new Wembley opened its doors for the football spectacular we had 'all' been waiting for, The FA Cup Final. The teams were Man Utd and Chelsea the cream of the Premiership. It was going to be a game never to forget.

Or so they said.

In my drunken stupor Friday night I had rounded on several people and expressed my utter disgust at the media hype, the footballing in-consequence and my belief it would be a boring 0-0 draw with some penalties at the end. Yet even though I foresaw most of this I still sat in front on my TV at 3.00pm to join in the 'footballing' experience (cos apparently if you love football how can you NOT watch the FA Cup Final?!) So I watched and then in the comfort of my sofa I erm fell asleep.

I dreamt of pleasant things - a new stadium for the Gills, no debts, great Wembley trips to come and winning a few more games over a season to get us in the top half of the table... and then I woke up (clearly that level of excitement is too much even for me).

Joy 0-0 and the second half of extra time. I was so pleased with my Friday pm prediction. As it was I was slightly out - but only slightly. Drogba scored and it was over. Did I care? Not really.
Do I care now? Nope not at all. Two very well off teams with players who can only play when there's a real financial gain to be had and frankly if Man U are willing to play into the hands of boring let's keep em contained Chelsea then that's what happens. I feel a slight sorrow for anyone who paid a fortune to go; get a ticket, spend a TENNER on a programme (for that I hope it was Interactive). But most of all I feel sorry for football. For the lower division clubs which were touched by the FA Cup draws along the way - was that all their efforts were really worth? These games really do make a difference to a season if you get a big club - the excitement, the romance and the slim hope it could be you at Wembley... But on the performance of our top notches - oh well.

Next year maybe.

And if not us, the Gills, please can we have some other exciting teams in the final next year?!?!? PLEASE!!! Give us all some hope! Spurs V West Ham would be good!

So Saturday was redeemed .. just ...by Doctor Who!!!

No comments: