Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Leave: Day Two - Tuesday

Despite my alarm going off early I manage to stay tucked up in bed until 10am. So much for Carpe Diem and being up with the lark.

In a freak of coincidence Sparky is off work too. (OK he has thrown his job in. Oh to be so free spirited. Oh what am I going to do with him?) We decide to make the most of the weather and trot off on the tube. Balham. Overland train to Clapham Jct. From here we catch a No 49 (Shepherds Bush-Wandsworth) bus and begin a magical mystery tour of the streets of London.

We alight the bus at South Kensington and follow our noses to Exhibition Road and along it towards the parks. Can I confirm at this point that all the children on holiday are piling into the Museums. There are queues outside each one and the bins are over flowing. So you won't be finding me in any of them this week! We pootle round the Royal Albert Hall. Sparky is not very chatty. So I find myself talking to myself and taking pictures instead.

The Albert Memorial. Victoria must really have loved him. A Memorial and a Hall. And the gold shining in the sunlight. A true monument to her feelings for him.
We foray further into the Royal Park, Kensington Gardens. Magnificent trees and the pink blossom immediately induce you to forget you are even in London. I want to retrace some steps from many years hence. In 2000 Matthew and I had spent the day in Bayswater - he taking pictures of the Whiteleys shopping centre - me in awe of the architecture. He certainly gave me that awareness. Afterwards we went for a walk round the gardens. The Italian fountains and indeed Peter Pan (no pic sorry - some rather rotund kid was swinging off of it and I prefer my statues unhindered by people). It's been a while since I have been back so I was curious to see how my memory fit the today.
The Long Water - the Kensington Garden side of the Serpentine Bridge - cross the Bridge for Hyde Park. Continue along Long Water for trees, ducks, and the restful fountains....


Our walk from here takes in many parts of London I have not really explored before. We head to Victoria Gate and the Tyburn tree (Tyburn being the place of the gallows - from Newgate to Tyburn meant the end was nigh.) By now a pint and a pee are in order so we cut across the Bayswater Road and head for Edgware Road. On the corner a Wetherspoons - The Tyburn no less. Half a pint of Brain's Rev James. A peachy number, very tasty.

We ramble down Seymour Street, towards Portman Sq. Its the ward of squares this part of town. George Street to Marylebone High Street via Manchester Square to feast our eyes on the Wallace Museum. Then onto Weymouth Street crossing Harley Street and Portland Place to Great Portland Street. Going north would take us to The Regents Park. Instead we hit the Green Man for another pint opposite Great Portland Street Underground. This time Bombardier. We then walk along the Euston Road to St Pancras and Kings Cross. In the International terminus we find Sparky's initials forever scratched into the brickwork. Ah the idle doings of a night shift huh.

We then walk down Grays Inn Road. Straying far too close to 'w' I decide that dinner will be back in town - at a haunt we have not been to for ages. We stop in The Lucas Arms for a pint and pee. Half a Greene King. Then we walk along Theobald Road and see who can get to Wardour Street first. In the O'Neills (which pains me as when it was the Wag it was far better) and then up the road for a Won Kei's special.

If you have never been to Won Kei then try it - it will be an experience. Even now I am unsure if the meat in either of our dishes was really either beef or chicken. Either way the aromatic duck was splendid as always and we were fortunate to be sent upstairs - so we got a table cloth. Rare indeed. Leave via Leicester Square and the premier of 'Leatherheads' is taking place at the Odeon - many screams and flashing light bulbs. Tube. Home. Champions League football. Bed. Tired but strangely content.

Miles walked: 9.94

19685 steps

No comments: