Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gillingham 1 - Swindon Town 1

A 12.30 kick off meant an early start. Today tho was the warmest thus far this year and I had to have high hopes of a win. The sun helped put a spring in my step. The last home game of the season. Last chance to see the regulars.

The 11.03am from Victoria was seemingly empty of Swindon fans BUT was full of Londoners off to the seaside. Screaming kids and yelling parents did not help my by now stressed mood. Tension. Tense. Nervous. My MP3 was low on juice so it was looking likely I would not be able to drown out the noise the whole way.

As the train met the River Medway I could see a helicopter in the distance - seemingly hovering above Rochester castle. This dear readers was the taster for the sights I would see once at Gillingham station. History decrees that Gillingham and Swindon do not get on. ?? So for our last home game of the season it was Big Brother central. The outside of the station was a police van car park. Horses. Dogs. And yes the police helicopter..

I am not entirely sure why we 'hate' Swindon, but it meant any pre-match routines went out the window. At the end of Balmoral Road I usually turn left. Today I was greeted by a 2 deep line of policeman. 'You going to the football love - then you have to go via Gordon Road.' Had I been quick enough I would have said - erm yes the scarf maybe a clue tied to my bag, or better still, well you wouldn't come to Gillingham to go shopping would you? Instead I about turned and went off towards the Gordon Road. My usual season long routine broken. So I circumnavigate the krbs Priestfield and eventually get to the Rainham End turnstiles. In. Buy programme for Pops. Loo. Change into Gills shirt. And find my seat. Row Q, seat 23. Here I am again. Here we are again. Fighting for survival.

Going to footie without Dad is always strange. However for most of April I travelled to games by myself. It's been a full scorecard for me. And I have to say from the drizzle of Brizzle to the feeling of unity at Millwall and the utter joy on a Tuesday night early in the month its been every reason I love football live so much.

Today though is taking the rough with the smooth. Today though is praying for 3 points and then hoping the 3pm kick offs gift us some chances.

SO as my photo posts confirm we scored 2 minutes in. The object of my end of season lust doing the business. As I chatted to the twins at half time I said I was hoping we didn't repeat the trauma of Bristol and allow them to score a late goal. Me and my big mouth.

88 minutes Swindon score. Their fans go mental. Our go quiet. They singing 'You're going down'. I hold my head in my hands. Once again we had chances but failed to get that 2nd all important goal. Days like these you want a Matt Jarvis or an Iffy Onura back. Days like these you want the police to go away and let you drudge back to the station in peace. Oh no.

Last games of season mean the team and coaching staff do a lap of the pitch. Most 'fans' left in disgust. Scally was not present. I stayed and held scarf aloft as those of us left sang 'The Last Waltz'. Last year I was saying goodbye to key players. This year I have no idea which division we will be in next season or who will be left in the squad.

So on the way back to the station it was the long route. More dogs. Horses and the helicopter arrived 10 mins before the final whistle. I got to the station via the baying Gillingham fans who were hoping to grab a Swine fan.

The police were wise and only those of us actually on the platform got to savour more jeering from the strangely non Swindon shirt wearing fans.


Not an ideal way to sign off the season here in Kent. But now the trip home would be prolonged as police looked after those fans above who all got my train back to London. We stopped at Rochester while certain were arrested and hauled off the train. Victoria to home was peaceful. Too many excited Chelsea fans about for anyone to notice a Pikey Princess.
Get home at 4.15pm. En route I had checked internet on mobbie and we were looking sunk, until Radio 5 announced our lifeline Oldham had taken the lead....

Final score means the table looks like this:
19 Crewe 45 -15 50
20 Cheltenham 45 -23 48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 Bournemouth 45 -10 47
22 Gillingham 45 -28 46
23 Port Vale 45 -34 37
24 Luton 45 -19 33

SO we stay in Division One for another week and its all down to next weekend. We HAVE to win. Everyone else has to lose for us to stay up. I predict we will draw. Bournemouth will win and Cheltenham will lose. Either way it's not going to be a very relaxing Saturday...and probably not a very relaxing week. I will be pacing and the game will occupy the back of my mind without thinking.... sorry guys it's going to be a long week... until..
Saturday, 03 May 2008
Carlisle v Bournemouth, 15:00
Cheltenham v Doncaster, 15:00
Crewe v Oldham, 15:00
Leeds v Gillingham, 15:00

Keeping the faith. UTG.


No comments: