Sunday, March 11, 2007

Gillingham 1 - Crewe 0

WE WON!!

An amazing strike by Flynn from just outside the box proved to be the bullet like shot we needed! Otherwise Dad & I were really unsure if a goal was ever going to happen! It was for the majority of the first half - very dull. Nowhere near the excitement and drama of last week against Blackpool. But second half buoyed by a goal we looked brighter.

I have 2 observations -

1) THE RIGHT SIDE (IE my side) need to step up and join in with the song!! 'We are the right side, we are the right side, we are the right side Rainham End .' 'We are the middle, we are the middle, we are the middle Rainham End .' 'We are the left side, we are the left side, we are the left side Rainham End .' I DID try but no-one else joined in so once more the Right side were ridiculed. Event the Town End piped up!!

2) The father and daughter combo behind me were fascinating (i jest!) okay they were very irritating - little 4 year old Gabby needing to be told who was in what colour etc etc - but give him his due by the end of the game Gabby was a Gill through and through. But it got me thinking - the advice and pointers he was giving Gabby were way off beam from anything my Dad imparts to me (when he isn't keeping his fan club happy!). I guess the bottom line is that Pops and I have been through too many experiences and seen too many losses etc. Hardened. Until the goal we had lost all hope of winning. After it all we wanted was to hang on to it! Gabby and her dad probably enjoyed the game more - 'the Blues', getting Gab's to identify players with numbers (which frankly even some of the older fans don't yet get!) and going for chips. I also hope they enjoyed kicking my seat through out - cos I didn't!

All in all a good day - early train. stomp round Gills to meet Pop, note that Gillingham is full of Zombie teens who like to block all pavements. You could step into the road and walk but I doubt they would notice that either. Missed the Tit on both in and out trip! Joy joy joy!! And of course the sunset was once again magnificent - the rosy red of the sun as it dipped beneath the Red Millennium Wheel. Beautiful.

Ah - and tomorrow wall to wall sport on the Beeb!

No comments: