Sunday, January 14, 2007

Gillingam 0 - Doncaster 2

I wish just wish I had stayed at home.

I should have known. The tube was running so I jumped on the 219 bus which went nowhere fast so I bailed out at Tooting Broadway and walked to Balham, weaving cat like between the Saturday shoppers, dawdlers etc. In my many sitting at football in the cold layers I was by the time I got on the 13.13 Southern service to Victoria sweating like a pig (sorry for the harsh picture but that was how I felt). Victoria was suspiciously quiet and the queue for tickets short but I still missed the 13.33 to Ramsgate by 1 minute. So I jumped on the slow train. Arrived at Gillingham at 14.43 pegged it up the road and into the ground. No Donny Dog.

A tight first half - we were not exactly brilliant but we held our own. Second half we came out fighting - plenty of chances - a ball over the line which was not given. The ref making several weird and wonderful decisions and all the bluster & determination of Jarvis going begging. How many misses? How many balls floated past the post?

The afternoon was kept loud by a Scouser called Adam (Tranmere supporter who had to ring his mum to tell her he had had a pie and was feeling better, nowt like sharing your hangover country wide) sat behind us with his mate and girlfriend. They knew an amount about football, sadly perhaps not quite the right amount. So all game we had a running incorrect commentary. And I can't abide fans calling players by their first name. 'Ooh Ian's having a mare. Come on Matt.' etc etc. Its just so wrong for so many reasons! Even the twins were looking back at these cretins with disgust. I kept quiet for the first half - still wondering how it took me from 12.30 to 14.55 to get from CW to Gillingham.

So back to business. They scored. Soft first goal. Inevitable second. The Gills seemed to lose heart at this point. But at least the fans were a bit more vocal.

A leisurely wander back to the station only to discover the trains back to London were delayed... oh joy. So I read the programme. Scally seems set on moving the ground to another site and I still don't quite get his arguments. To me it makes little sense when we only had over 6,000 there today. Hey ho - no doubt I will return to this theme in due course.

So the Donny Army marches on and frankly I am not sure with I should feel dishearten or rather mildly annoyed.

No comments: