Thursday, January 25, 2007

Brr!

Typical! the one night I get home earlyish (ie before 7pm) and Blogger is upgrading so I can't post! So these are my note pad notes - I'll transfer them over shortly! I hope! (here they are!)

Well so much for tropical January huh! This morning snow paved the streets of London and all tube lines bar one was delayed! Hooray the northern line with its depth and heat was running as normal! Not so lucky for many others - though I suspect the walk did them good! So we have had a rather warm start to the year. Winds to halt the day to day flow and now snow. Welcome to 2007!

I on the other hand have been waging war with my mice. Sunday was the last straw - I could hear them moving and squeaking after I got back from storm trooping walk to Clapham Sarf. Out came the Little Nipper traps and some strategic planning. The perishers were taking the choccie bait and moving the traps as far behind the fridge and freezer as possible. So I was now in need of getting results. Sunday evening I planted the traps. Monday morning the trap had indeed disappeared. When I returned Monday pm, post my weekly shop, it was time to remove the freezer again and see what was behind. Nothing. But a torch and me peering behind the fridge revealed trap and dead mouse. Sprawled on its back. Dead. I jumped in horror. The beady black eyes catching mine. A moment of triumph followed, which was then tempered by thoughts of 'Oh God what I have done? And worse what do I do with it now?' So plastic gloves to the fore I eased the trap and mouse out and peeled back the catch. Into a plastic bag it went and into the bin. But the image kept haunting me as I ate my tea and washed up. Tuesday night no joy. Bait gone but no mouse. So last night a much smaller piece of choc. This evening there was another dead mouse waiting for me. I never realised quite how large they are.


So its 2-nil to me. Unlike Gills last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be something about mice and feezers. OUr cat brought one in once and it went behind the freezer. I pulled the freezer out and tried to find it but it disappeared. A few days later there was a horrible smell coming seemingly from behind the freezer. I pulled it out again imagining the motor to be breaking down or something...there was the mouse...squashed flat and ripped apart from the first time I pulled the freezer out. Decaying mouse does not smell nice!

Karoona said...

Nor does mouse poo n pee... yukky - especially with central heating to make it really pong... that said I do still feel a bit bad about my approach but somehow a quick death has to be better than letting a mad cat loose on it - to play with it before doing the deed?!