Thursday, December 11, 2008

I appear

to have upset someone. Disappointed them.
Unintentionally.
But upset them nevertheless.
Surreal circumstances. We have all these devices designed to help us communicate better and yet we still fail to do so. Say what we mean. Say when we mean. To understand each other. Communication is as much about listening as talking. Quality not quantity.
Sometimes there needs to be space between to think. Time to be oneself.
24 hour availability is technically possible. But I wonder how did we survive before having 24 hour connectivity? We've become a society of needy nerds. If we are not on a phone, writing an email, getting a text, updating a status, we start to feel as if we have disappeared. Off the radar.
It's not the truth. The head is a complex beast and the capacity to store thoughts and memories is immense. And distance doesn't stop or weaken strength of emotions. The truth is I am pretty poor in the using the telephone experience. I prefer the written form. Or the face to face exchange. You can communicate so much through the eyes. And know its genuine. I am old fashioned perhaps. I am confident in myself - but not in my ability to be myself as a voice in a device. It takes away 50% of the knack of communication. And answer phones... voicemail. Ramble away. I do. Self consciously aware that for one who likes to talk to herself she doesn't like talking to an void!
Mm.
Unintentional.

No comments: