Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jamie at Home

So last night I suffered the Cheshire cat grin of Nigella. Tonight by pure chance I catch Jamie teaching us how to plant/grow and then cook potatoes. Innocuous so far.

By the end of it I was fuming.

"When I had a small patch of land I'd plant spuds in a grow bag." and hot air hot air later... it dawned on me that yes of course you did Jamie cos you weren't holding down an office job and spending half your life on a tube. You were cultivating your career.

My brain then replayed Nigella Express. Do Nigella and Jamie have shares in the olive oil and zest of lemon industries? Every recipe without fail has to have half a bottle of oil and zest and juice of a lemon....
And what do they all do with those lemon carcasses?
Animals.

Oil. Thought Jamie was into healthy meals?

And the way he speaks to his gardener. Like some pikey who showed up one day in his shed. Today Jamie I shall mostly be planting potatoes...

So as I chomped though my cornflakes (late one at work - home at gone 8 - desire to cook - gone) I decided that cookery programmes have taken the dumbed down option. Even for the middle classes who lets face it are the only ones who need a Jamie shaker cos the rest of the country uses a microwave or has a cook. That dear readers is the state of our nation.
DUMBED.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great bile-filled post, karoona.

Loving it!

Keep on skewering and kebabing the idiotic pomposities of 21st century UK