Sunday, September 09, 2007

In-between days

The final days of my brother's stay were spent in deepest darkest Kent. Though over the last few days it has felt as if his trip was in actual fact a dream. Who is my brother? Not sure I know any more.

Anyway getting back to the point in hand - deepest darkest Kent.

Stu n wif went down to Kent via Carshalton Beaches on Sunday evening - I stayed home and 'enjoyed my peace and quiet' which in actual fact meant sorting out flat and washing bits n bobs. I went for a late afternoon walk and got ready for an early morning and getting other stuff done before I cruised down to Kent on the train Monday afternoon. My Sunday was in fact far from quiet - a friend was breaking up with his girlfriend and in need of a friendly ear, place to crash, advice and I was darting between PC; phone and washing machine and washing line. My neighbours were in their usual noise amuck mode and as daylight faded I needed fresh air and space. As I walked I wondered what my long distant family members had actually learnt about me? Had they any idea of the complicated relationships I have beyond the ones they see? Or had I actually learnt much new about them? The more I walked the more I pondered. My feelings swinging between disbelief, anger, despair, joy, amusement, sadness.

Monday morning I got up and was out early for my 4 mile walk round the block - via Robert Dyas for moisture collection replacements and a new pair of trainers. Apparently my Lonsdale's: look like football boots without studs (thx Furry - at least I walk in mine!); are not suitable for walking in; and erm have a hole in the toe (all the miles I have already walked in them and not had any hassles with them - except a big toe yearning to get out!).

Then it was wash, pack and leave house. Well after my increasing 'have I locked; closed; shut' paranoia had been completed (this dear reader involves a 10minute run round flat to check all windows; doors; & appliances eg fridge, freezer, oven, washing machine and more recently shower; to ensure shut-ness & off-ness). This time I wrote a list so that once I was on tube (strike pending so had to be so pre 5pm) I would be able to reassure myself that I had left everything just so. And so at 4.03 I was on train headed home for tea.

Tuesday we went to Maidstone to meet an old family friend - (Auntie) Mary - who was my inspiration and link to make up, fashion and London when I was a child 'blooming' into a teenager. Unlike my mum Mary was cosmetically aware and sans children could afford to buy clothes until her wardrobes became the excuse to extend the house. I loved going to Marycot - it meant escapism - large garden, huge house, lots of clothes and shoes. Mary let me brush her hair and do her make up. I suspect I was never really very good - but I enjoyed it immensely. I also have fond memories of Mary and her then husband, the late Dave, as it was they who looked after Stu and I while Mum was in Worcester seeing through the final days of her fathers life against great stress and hatred from her mother. Mary and Dave took us to Windsor - I have a vivid memory of listening to the Archers whilst in the car when Simon Pemberton was doing the dirty on Lizzy. Dave was a huge Archers fan. Mary just loved M&S. So I was excited to see Mary after a 10 year void. As she came out of County Hall - I was overwhelmed with the urge to give her a big hug. Much has happened since I last saw her - but the conversation flowed much as it had.

Tuesday evening Marino's for tops fish n chips; and a walk round the village block - fantastic sunset!

Wednesday - the coast... see next post!

No comments: