Sunday, October 01, 2006

Gillingham 2 - Cheltenham 1

Crikey only knows how we managed that.

The hero of the month Jarvis scored yet another accomplished goal. But he has scant support up front and cannot be expected to do it all himself. And so when Cheltenham equalised I was convinced it had come off one of our men (not Jarvis I hasten to add!) - the Beeb is saying it was a straight forward Chelts goal - but I'm not so sure. With 2 minutes added time at the end of the half we pulled off a Leyton Orient moment and scored to go in 2 - 1 up at h-t.

Super Matty Jarvis cf Gillsconnect

Half time - people watching. Why is it that most over weight people eat crisps? Or pies? Or chips? Or hot dogs? Well they were doing that while I sucked on my WW cereal bar. Half time scores read out. Nowt too amazing. Ooh Liverpool losing 2-0.

The interval entertainment over (under '4's' penalty but not quite shoot out) the team re-emerged.

I was dreading the second half, could we hold on to it? Could we manage in any shape or form to score another? Would we crumble? Was it raining in London? Was my washing dry? Had I remembered to lock the back door? Had I forgotten to purchase anything this morning? How heavy is 20kg in terms of clothes? Shoes? Essentials? Ooh the goal at the other end was getting peppered. We were going to gift them a goal. I'd seen us at Oldham and sat through the indignation of being 3-0 up on Tuesday night. This sudden fear snapped me from my day dreams. The clouds over the Brian Moore Stand were drifting and the sun getting lower. And the opposition was getting far too much of the ball and too many corner kicks...

3 minutes added time.

Everyone around me was screaming for the ref to blow. We gave away another corner. The keeper Calamity Flinders was earning his match fee. The ref was toying with us. I suspected he might. If we were going to have a victory we'd have to prove it. Somehow we survived.

Now my Dad wasn't at the game - he is safely ensconced in Footscray, Melbourne - but if he had been, we would have looked at each other and said - 'Crikey only knows how we managed that'. Grateful for the 3 points but only too acutely aware we are not looking any stronger.

As for Bas Savage our 'new' signing - erm he couldn't get hold of the ball during his half time subs warm up and by all accounts on the MB every other club in the league and the ones below have rejected him. He for the half he was played - all arms and legs and not a stunning smell of talent. Hurry up and get back on the pitch Twiglet!! And why oh why does Ronnie keep taking Easton off?!?!

No comments: