Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Honeymoons

As I sit here back in my chosen Melbourne Internet cafe for my trip doon under I understand that the honeymoon period is over for Steve Mclaren. Meanwhile my brother and his missus are living it up in Dover, Tasmania before jetting off to Saba in Indonesia to see the Orangutans. I am trying to sort out the next 3 days so I see a bit more of Melbourne and get sorted ready for flight back Saturday pm.

But I am guessing you are all dying to know how the wedding went!?! Well I think as a family we cracked it - our dresses were repeatedly commented on for being stunning and my Mum did look a million dollars. We had gone for a professional make up job that morning - it took a wee while but was defo worth it. Dad had his DJ on and stormed the floor with his speech. I did my reading without a faulter and all in all we held our heads high and smiled broadly as Stuart and Emma made their love official.

The rehearsal on the Friday was perhaps more emotional than the actual day.

The wording, music everything had been written and agreed by Stu and Em - so the vows were non-traditional but summed their relationship up perfectly. The venue meant the back drop was beautiful - sun over the vine yard and lakes. The guests were all well behaved. And the bride and groom looked a picture! I nearly cried when Stu mentioned me specifically in his speech - but I fought back hard and kept vaguely composed. I'll stick up some photos when I get home so you can see fully how well my brother scrubs up and how gorgeous his wife to be looked.

On the whole the time spent in Hobart veered from relaxing and fun to uptight and stressy. When Martin and I got off the plane at Hobart it was 32 degrees and the wind had a life of its own - it was strong! There were also bush fires raging across the ranges in the vicinity of the vineyard were the wedding was to be held and the highways were being shut at intervals because it was so dangerous. The wind and the heat did not paint a great picture. Thursday pm started at Customs House with Carlton Black on tap then the group of us all met up for dinner - I had steak.

Friday we pottered - and helped with moving of luggage and general nerve calming of my brother. The afternoon was the rehearsal and wine tasting at Meadowbank. I took a liking to the Cabernet, very very tasty. At 4pm we were ushered outside for the rehearsal. Various people doing readings - well in turned out just 2 of us! My poem, Love's Philosophy by Percy Bysshe Shelley was to appear directly after they were married and had been able to kiss! During rehearsal with the sun and the view and all these key people as I read the words I got quite a lump in my throat. I think there were several others who felt the same way. The pause and aahs before the applause.

We continued drinking there and then tottered back into town - watching the smoke rising! Dinner was to be at 42degrees, a nice joint on the front in Hobart centre. We were all struggling by t8pm though - it had been a long day and the Saturday was going to be even longer... we struggled through! More beers! And on the way back the groom's party such as it was - me, Ma and Pa, Stu n Martin n Steve - piled into The Little Sydney Hotel opposite our hotel for a last beer... Moo Brew dark! And there was a live band playing good stuff - covers of Duran Duran numbers and it was just great to be altogehter and spending Stu's last single hours with smiles on our faces!!

Saturday morning - get up wash and sort hair so that by 5pm it would be settled and shiny! Big breakfast in a place called Dukkah's - it was very very lovely! Then at midday a make over and the count down... strange how these important days always go so fast. No sonner had we had our make up done we were dressed, putting button holes onto groom and grooms men and gettign a cab down to the pier to pick up the double decker bus that would seem to take forever to get us tot he venue...!! Some hours later we were all on the bus back to Hobart - singing and smiling. Stuart and Emma now Mr and Mrs... F!

Congratulations to them both!

No comments: