Monday, October 13, 2008

US

We are all aware of the upcoming American elections. You know pit bulls with lipstick. A Palin that isn't Michael. An Obama that has no relationship to Osama. A McCain that isn't an oven cooked chip. And Obama's right hand man who barely seems to be getting a mention....here at least. My feelings for the US vary. Ask me about the landscape of the states I have visited and I will talk enthusiastically. Ask me about invasions and I will berate. So the current flurry of US themed programmes poses treats and tricks in equal measure.
I end my weekend with Stephen Fry in America. Why o why does the BBC keep doing this? They tried it with Victoria Wood in India and it was cringe worthy. These programmes only graze a surface and leave me feeling short changed. I want more detail - I want a unique view. Not a contrived celebrity view. 'It's typically American'. Fine Stephen but when are you going to explain WHAT that actually means? He went to several states and got to see some views and sights that not everyone will. But it was brief. His trip through New York - ah let's pick up Sting so we can play his song. I was disappointed. The old dear in the gambling hall who claimed he had a great personality did make me chuckle. Yes indeed he has. In Blackadder maybe. This was an hour in poor contrast to the more challenging and consequently BBC 2 programme I started my weekend with. The American Future: A History, by Simon Schama was by far, a more considered hour. It had personal significance as it dealt with issues I had first been made aware of way back in 2000 when I spent 3 months in the American West.
Water. Marc Reisner's Cadillac Desert. The taming of the Colorado which has had some benefits and also caused some major problems. It did not dumb down the content. And yes the camera work did the scenery justice. You go to America you see that everything is on a huge scale. Both programmes captured that. But I didn't really learn much from Stephen. (It was too much about him) Expect how to put a lobster to sleep. But Simon helped put my earlier knowledge into a more current perspective. I am not so sure about Mr Schama (too many Deadringers memories) but he did at least get under the skin of the issues.
I am about to return to Phillip Roth's novel and get his view on the place.
Oddly a year ago I was finishing Updike's Rabbit Series.
An autumnal cycle is in flow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How true felt the same about both programmes - need to watch Paul Merton in India - what a tonic Iv'e not laughed so much to ages!!!

Karoona said...

I will give it a whirl! Need to sort my aerial out so Fiver works mind you!!

Karoona said...

As you can tell from a recetn post - have given Mr Merton a try - a much less cringe worthy effort. Thx 4 tip off.