Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saturday

Today is the first Saturday I have been at home (and up right) all day for AGES!! Well over a month in fact, which is perhaps why I have had a feeling of contentment all day.
I slept soundly - despite several interruptions and turning in very late and the nagging wish to listen to the Grand Prix qualifications when I first woke up at 5.30am. When it was dark. The heating had only just come on. The comforting nose of the warming water flowing through the pipes - the sound of warmth. I snoozed again. Until my alarm went off at 6.10am. The heating drawing to a crescendo before it goes off. The light still trying to sneak in through the cracks between the curtains and the walls. I fall deeply this time - all hopes of China qualification listening out of the window until the doorbell goes. I was expecting it. The postman. It is now 8.10am.
Yes - with curled hair and no sight aids I lurch to the door. Oops a dressing gown might be a better bet. The postie is armed with my parcel and wearing shorts. The sun is out, but the morning spell is starting to lose its hold. I am glad the parcel has come so early - but not early enough for me to go for my walk pre 8am, as I prefer at the weekends so as to avoid too many people/cars but also because the light is different is magical and the smells as the air starts to warm in the sunlight. Mm my favourite time of day. Then again I was dead to the world. Dreaming of my neighbours and landlord (not so much a dream as a glimpse as to how much worse it could be).
It's my new camera and I am very excited. But in a typical fashion I place all thoughts of getting up and going out with it until I have sorted all the other stuff that 6 weeks of no real time in the flat has left me to deal with. So I dig out the battery and the charger. Charge battery - do stuff n nonsense - camera play later.
Dress rapidly - put washing machine on and the leave the house.
The other thing I have failed to do for ages is actually cook myself a proper meal - soup and rolls with cream cheese and pate do not count. So I grab my shopping bag and plan a meal for one for my preparation and later consumption.
I eventually leave the house at 9ish. The traffic is already building. It's a bright Saturday so people are up and about. The roads to Wimbledon are hazardous with pedestrians and push chairs. Its not really helped by my mind being so totally distracted. But that's for another entry.
The short route along Queens Road - a road I haven't walked up or down for months. Sainsburys. Where I get what I need quickly but then seem invisible in all till queues and end up somehow being overtaken by a pensioner. Hey ho.
Home. Hang out washing. Listen to fighting talk. Prepare for clean busting. I sort out my Everest mountain of Observer papers, the recycling items and generally put stuff away - where it belongs. Th ehhover even makes along awaited appearance in all rooms! The sun streams through the windows and the flowers I have bought brighten my mood. As of now I don't have to leave the house, be social with anyone or doing anything except please myself - and it feels lush.
I cook up my delicious vegetarian lasagna and prep the cooking apple I bought back from Exeter for some cous-cous and fruit stuffing before it is baked. These chores done I turn to myself and dye my hair, and go through all the 'beauty' regimes us girls must do. Pluck, remove toe nail polish, epilate. Etc. Etc. It makes me feel more lively. Now I can settle down for five live football and look forward to an evening of eating nice proper food, having a glass of red wine and dipping in and out of Saturday pm TV.
Bliss.
Days like today just don't happen often enough.
Tomorrow - me up to watch Grand Prix then out to explore the city with new camera!

No comments: