Sunday, October 12, 2008

Exeter City 3 - Gillingham 0

(October 4th 2008) A trip to the South West served 2 purposes - firstly to catch up with Baggy and Chuffy and secondly to go to my first away fixture of the season. It was the perfect combination to get me out of London and away from work for 4.5 days. It felt good for that reason alone.
So Saturday traffic in Exeter suggests that football and shopping are quite popular. And the ground was heaving with Exeter fans - standing at both ends. The Gills had bought 407 trusty fans - I think I was probably #400. And we were all stood in a fairly small terrace behind the goal. It was football I as I remember it. Exposed to the elements and at the edge of the action. (I do though wonder at the philosophy of putting the family section (seated) next to the away fans small seated section)

Come the 43rd minute and the third Exeter goal I had convinced myself a pasty was in order...the second half was more even and no more goals were scored. I enjoyed it just for the thrill of standing on the touch line practically and leaning on the rails whilst corners were taken right in front of me.




The fans were less enthused. Mr Stimson not a popular chap by 4.45pm.

No comments: