Monday, August 11, 2008

On the buses..





There was much going on in SW19 this fine Sunday. The morning was bright and fresh, a tad windy but an improvement on yesterday afternoon. Firstly as I did my morning walk I was passing 'crime' scenes across streets of Wimbledon as 'The Bill' was filming. They had already been unwrapping St Hugh's hospital earlier in my stomp. Lights, cameras and bus loads of cast.. exciting - though perhaps a bit of a pain if it's your house they are outside at 9am on a Sunday morning.
I continued round my loop through the quiet town centre along Alexander Road onto Haydons Road. Here there were street cones and lots of Asian people clad in sari's preparing for a carnival or something - street side stalls, floats and lots of colours. Plenty of bustle and a real sense of community.

Bear in mind its not yet 10am I sense today is an important date in the local area. I then make the connection that I have noticed a large number of vintage buses too - sure enough outside the Merton Bus garage there are bus spotters... and they I hope were not disappointed as there were plenty traversing the SW19 neighbourhood - double and single deckers - bright red and very robust looking compared to the double deckers you see today...all in all lots to see and do.

I went back out again later to buy books. The buses were more frequent and the travelling passengers looked most resplendent on the top decks with cameras and smiles. The sun has shone and I have filled out my student application form... still undecided as to course though! Too many options!! History of Architecture maybe.

No comments: