Thursday, December 14, 2006

Noise Abatement

This evening I bit the bullet and plucked up the courage to say something to my upstairs neighbours. Perhaps spurred on by a restless night's sleep caused in no small part by 'changing room' noises at 2am. Why do they have to scrape furniture across the floorboards at all hours? They have no carpets you see.

So when I found myself in the hallway with Mr Upstairs I was polite and asked if he was ok and then asked if perhaps they'd consider that actually my bed room is underneath their lounge and perhaps possibly their constant noise was keeping me awake/waking me up. The essence being you seem to have forgotten I do actually live downstairs and your antics are upsetting my sleep patterns. I tried not to lose my temper and maybe my words could have been better - but what else can I do? Bang on my ceiling everytime they do it? Say nothing and hope it stops (it hasn't over the last couple of months)? I guess now all I have to do is wait and see. They will either make a slight effort or go all out to p*ss me off.. well more so then.

Why does putting across a well reasoned point of view make you feel as if you are in the wrong? I would understand it if I had loud parties every night or played my music at full volume til all hours. But I don't. And I think its somehow harder to disturb upwards... there's only 1 of me - there's 3 of them. And frankly I am also sick of being woken up by Mr Upstairs snoring over my head (he's on the couch for some reason but I thought it best not to mention that)... if I wanted to be woken up by snoring I'd move a snorey boyfriend in.

I feel slightly better but also a tad nervous... certainly one aspect that has changed over the last 12 months - I do find myself standing up for myself.. the wisdom of age perchance? Or blissful stubbornness?

I'll let you know how I go... oh yeah and they'll be getting a Merry Christmas and a PEACEFUL New Year card...

No comments: