Saturday, December 16, 2006

Festive

Today was the team Christmas lunch and very tasty it was too. Led to some rowdy moments in the afternoon but all good clean fun.

It also spurred me on to purchase cards and stamps and just generally get into the spirit (of Christmas - not vodka!) after work. Yes it's true I had a quiet Friday night. I came straight home! All I have to hope now is that the good old post office can do something special for my postal package to Australia - oops!

Not so festive is the news in Suffolk at the moment. All very disturbing. The cycle of drugs is indeed a very slippy slope and the lifestyles the news is sharing with us is so far removed from my day to day existence that I am beginning to feel naive. But for five parents to lose their daughters in this way and learn the realities behind the facades they knew is truly devestating. I was beginning to wonder if I had become de-sensitised to news stories - everyday is a litany of murders, bombs, death and tragedy - but this story is horrifying on so many levels. How did we let society get like this? The one thing that Christmas won't change sadly is the poverty, depravity and desparation that so many of the planets inhabitants suffer. It makes me grateful for small mercies and wish those I know and love a genuinely peaceful season and indeed, year ahead.

No comments: