Sunday, April 02, 2006

MK Dons 1 - Gillingham 2

It's all about the cows....


This is the home of MK Dons. MK being the critical part of that observation.

I had to get a train to see the team formerly of SW19. A game in the midst of history I would have been able to walk to. Plough Lane - RIP. So against my footballing principles I did go to the new home of Wimbledon - it's not really the new home I hasten to add. I live in SW19 and trust me true Wimbledon fans support AFC Wimbledon. Not the Cows. Concrete you see. Yes the Cowshed is the home end and the mascots are two cows mixed with the theme of the sponsor Marshall - so they hold MKDon guitars.. so yes air guitar playing cows. The pre match entertainer was rather large and accused us Gills' fans of not being very noisy.. and then the home fans had a go at super Jason Brown who to them had eaten all the pies. The team were late turning up - not running out for their warm up until 2.30pm. And the first half reflected this somewhat. The team I saw last week were not out there. It was subdued and Gills weren't getting hold of the game. The wind meant all we could hear were the home fans singing - our efforts being blown away in the breeze. Then a penalty. Erm I think not - the ball was rolling out and from that close to the line scoring opportunities were limited. Anyway we let MK enjoy their lead and duly accused them of being cheats for the remainder of the half.

Anyway they are bottom of the table this evening and we are not. The mystical 50 points in the bag. Great goal from Byfield and a super free kick by Black secured 3 points and 15th in the league. 2 goals in 2 mins. Several good chances in the latter part of the half and yes the team I saw last week were finally here. I believe we are getting to the safety zone. It feels good.

The Gills fans at MK Central were in high spirits. Much singing and many smiles. The singing lasted for much of the journey back to London on the super SilverLink train. Not sure some of the other carriage occupants were overly impressed. I was mildly bemused. You can see all the well to do making their assumptions.

Anyway - smiles and proximity to safety - been a while coming but worth the wait!

Have cued up my travel for Yeovil so another away day in the offing.

UTG! You make me happy when skies are grey!

No comments: