Thursday, April 13, 2006

Placebo Concert! My heroes!

Great venue Ally Pally! Never been before so getting there and home again was a concern. I needn't have worried. Tube to Wood Green and W3 bus to the venue, via a pub of course! Once up the hill (that was a clue for a future blissful moment) and at the Palace it was hard to know what was more exciting, seeing my favourite band or the view across the city. Certainly worth a visit on a sunny day. Inside was huge.

The last time I saw Placebo was 2 years ago at Brixton Academy. Seen them there 3 times in all, also seen them at the ill fated wet Glastonbury in 1997 and in 1996 at Leicester's De Montfort Hall. Each gig reminds me of a certain song and for that matter each album charts a phase of my life. I suspect I shall in time chart each album and the reasons why they cut a slice of my life so perfectly.

But tonight it was 'Meds' they were sharing with the fans. The place was packed. The weather and days work soon forgotten as the band appeared. I've been listening to it solidly on my MP3 for the last month. So I prepared to sing along and dance along. Cheers and clapping ahoy - the lights went down the stage lit up and the music began.

In no particular order they played Infra Red; Because I Want You; Drag; Come Home; Follow the Cops Back Home; Every You Every Me; 36 Degrees (the 2005 version); Special Needs; One of a Kind; Space Monkey; Post Blue; Twenty Years; Blind; The Bitter End; Song to Say Goodbye. The encore - ah the encore! Running up that Hill cover (deep deep joy!); Meds; Teenage Angst; Nancy Boy. And then the stage dimmed and the house lights went up. So for an hour and half belting songs played with full grit and heart by the threesome. Way too short or did it just go too quickly?

Either way I suspect the venue dictates that events end at 10.30pm so everyone can get home. Walk to Alexandra Palace Station, via pub for a pee, 15mins to Kings X and then the tube. My head full of the songs the feelings. I did learn that trying to use your phone to record such events is pointless. Oh well. Thanks Brian, Stefan and Steve for yet another memorable performance. I look forward to the next one with glee!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

placebo - reading festival - on before Pearl Jam

I'll be there !

Karoona said...

superb! two remarkably tops bands!! enjoy! (thx for leaving a missive also :-) )