Saturday, April 29, 2006

Five Years - Part One

I had this crazy idea to do some retro pieces - ie compare and contrast today compared to 5 years ago. Why five years? Well other than the fact it is a truly great song by David Bowie it also reflects an era in my life - same place of work for that time and also the period that London took on a greater sense of home. The only problem - it is not yet May! And this year the May Ball is in June... go figure!! Almost as good as the Xmas Party we had in November - The Guy Fawkes party we renamed it!!

So anyway today I am going to start with a photo - The May Ball, 25th May 2001.


How many are still there - and erm who looks the most different?!? From L-R - Gail, Manisha, Bill, face behind the mask - unknown! I think it is Alex, Jas, Vanessa et moi.

The theme of the night was Star Wars. I had a very ropey dress on which I recall at one point created a rather embarrassing scene. ie the front fell apart. Everyone who goes to the Ball for the first time gets sucked into the opulent surroundings (The Grovesnor Hotel no less) and the plentiful food and drink. I know I did. And in subsequent years I have seen others make the same discovery. Needless to say I had a few too many red wines - a few too many ports and got a cab home. On exitting the cab I was quite ill. The cabbie accused me of being ill his cab - so I turned to him and said 'I think not - most of it is over me....' threw him his cash and walked home. The next day was very bright and sunny. Ideal for drying clothes. Which was nice.

This is me and Vanessa. Venny B was the one person who helped me settle in to my new job with confidence. A loyal mate to have and also a great social pal out of hours! Think she now lives near Westgate.. Amazing how quickly you lose touch. Amazing - or naughty? Not sure. I hope Venny found the elusive love she was always chasing - she had a heart of gold.

Anyway look out for some retro updates on other days of the year already here - a memory from Five Years ago for each. Ah the power of the memory and the aid of a diary! 2001 was a pretty exciting year!

No comments: